Monday, September 16, 2013

Day 1: Roaming in Roma-- Rome In Color

Upon arriving to the airport in Rome, I felt a measurable amount of anxiety and trepidation for the situation my spontaneity and spur-of-the-moment attitude had just gotten me into. I was as equally nervous as I was excited... Here I was in Rome, without any knowledge of the Italian language--with the exception of a few words I had just quickly picked up in my guidebook: Buonjourno, Prego, Andiamo, Gratzi-- and without anyone to confide in, nor any idea as to how I would be spending the day alone until meeting up with my friend in Bologna that night. All of my worries quickly subsided however after speaking to one of the train-station's amiable representatives. She told me which trains to take, the must-see locations, and what metro lines could get me there.

After taking line A of the underground train, I arrived at Piazza di Spagna, to marvel at the magnificent Spanish Steps and the Fontana della Barcaccia (Fountain of the Old Boat). I spent the day wandering throughout Rome, visiting places like the Forum Romanum, Altare della Patria, and the Colosseo. All throughout the day I could't help but smile incessantly at the thought of, "I'M IN ITALY!!!"  Resting in front of the Fontana di Trevi, enjoying some creamy and delectable gelato, and marveling at the grandeur ceiling inside the Chiesa di Sant' Ignazio was truly a long-time dream of mine come to life. I had to refrain myself from breaking out in jubiliant dance (which may have looked something like this) something the Italian natives would have found amusing I'm sure!

All in all, it was a remarkable journey, filled with moments of great joy, laughter, and also uncertainty--all of which made the trip that much more of a memorable adventure which I am so grateful to have embarked on. Here are some pictures from my first day in Rome. All the historical sites where in such close proximity to one another which is really great because it permits you the ability to see a lot in just a single day.


Story time: My “Audrey Hepburn” Moment in Rome. 
So, I couldn’t end this blog post without sharing a (slightly) embarrassing, (but mostly) hilarious story of something that happened to me in Rome. If you’ve ever watched Audrey Hepburn’s “Roman Holiday,” you’ve gotten a foreshadowing of just exactly what happened to me in Rome…
I was roaming in the streets of Roma, in a state of pure bliss, when suddenly an Italian man approached me with a flower and said “for you, Bella.” I graciously accepted his gift and smelled the rose emphatically as if I was enjoying it’s every scent. As I walked off, enamored with the scenery, and with the people, I thought to myself: “They are SO friendly here! This random man just gave me a flower AND called me beautiful?! How lovely.” And I continued on in my merry way. 
What I did not realize however, in the state of my trance-like bliss, was that this man was a gypsy, and he was not just “giving” me a flower out of his own generosity— he was trying to make a living. As I continued walking, I reached the top of the Spanish steps, and the man with the flowers managed to find me there. He said: “No, do you have money?” And suddenly realizing the extent of my folly, I laughed and said: “Oh my gosh! I don’t have any change on me, I’m sorry!” And I handed him his flower back. 
He walked away, with flower in hand, ready to hand it off to another “Bella” tourist no doubt.
I laughed at myself on and off for a good few minutes, realizing I had just had my very own “Audrey Hepburn moment” in Rome. 



















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...